Children are a gift from the Lord. They are a reward from Him. ~Psalms 127:3
Many Programs for Children
Welcome, parents! Here at John Wesley, children are precious to us, and we believe it is our responsibility to nurture and to teach children about God's love in a safe and loving environment. Children are welcome to attend anything and everything at John Wesley, which means that they are welcome to stay in the sanctuary during worship. There is a children’s sermon that sometimes is more interesting than anything else that happens on Sunday Morning. After that, those that choose to, can go to Children’s Church. And of course there is a great nursery that is staffed by well trained and certified workers. The nursery is available for all worship services and for almost everything else that happens around JW. And the overflow/private space of the chapel is available if you just need a moment alone with a child, but do not want to miss the service.
We endeavor to guide children in their blossoming faith in Christ through various children's ministries. In order to provide a safe community for children and adults, the church requires all employees and volunteers working with children to comply with the "Requirements of Employees and Volunteers" and the "Child Protection Guidelines and Procedures" that make up our Safe Sanctuaries Policy. If you have any questions about our Children's Programs, please contact our Director of Children's Ministries, Hope Murphy at email@example.com.
Here is a preview of some of our many programs for children of all ages:
We provide nursery care for children age 6 weeks-3 years for all regular and special worship services, Sunday School, Wednesday Night Out, and other church-wide events and activities. Our nursery staff is CPR/First Aid certified as well as trained and certified in Darkness to Light's Stewards of Children and our Safe Sanctuaries policy.
We offer Sunday School classes for every age level, preschool and elementary, ages 2-5th grade. Sunday School is offered from 9:45-10:45 each Sunday.
All children are welcome in our worship services. Children ages 4 and 5 are invited to participate in Children's Church during the 8:30 and 11:00 services. Children attend worship in the sanctuary through the Children's Sermon, and then go down to hall to the preschool classroom for Children's Church with a volunteer teacher.
Children's Church 2
Offered in the fall each year, Children's Church 2 is for first graders and younger elementary children (who haven't previously completed the class) and is a six week class about the sacraments of Baptism and Communion and serves as a transition between our regular Children's Church Program (for 4 and 5 year olds) and staying in "big church." We ask that children and their parents make a commitment to attend each Sunday in order to get the most from this program. For more information, please contact our Director of Children's Ministries, Hope Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Vacation Bible School
VBS at JWUMC is held each June and is open to all children ages 4 through 5th grade. VBS is offered one week, Monday-Friday from 9:00AM to noon, and features a performance of participants at a Sunday afternoon performance. Hope to see you there! Sign up here:
Summer Soccer Camp
Each July, we offer a fun, innovative mini-soccer camp for ages 5-12 for four evenings (5:00-8:00PM) at Ackerman Park in West Ashley. See you at the fields! Sign up here: https://jwumc.pandaform.com/pub/soccer16/new
Kids' Ways to Praise
Kids' Ways to Praise is our annual summer music camp for ages 4-6th grade held each August. KWTP is offered one week, Monday-Friday from 9:00AM - noon and features a performance of participants at a Sunday service. Hope to see you there! Sign up here: https://jwumc.pandaform.com/pub/kwtponly/new
May Day Play Day
An informal worship service in May involving children, followed by a picnic and games on the church lawn
Wednesday Night Out
Weekly, on-going children's programming on Wednesday nights, in the fall, winter, and spring includes the following:
- a nursery provided for children ages 3 and under beginning at 5:15PM
- Children's Choir Practices:
- Cherub Choir (age 3): 6:00-6:30 in Room 109
- Wesley Choristers (ages 4-1st grade): 6:00-6:30 in Choir Room
- Covenant Ringers (2nd through 5th grade): 6:00-6:30, 1st and 3rd Wednesdays in the Sanctuary
- Covenant Singers (2nd-5th grade): 6:30-7:00 in the Choir Room
- Children's Video Room: 6:30-8:00PM, staffed by nursery workers
- Kids' Council: 2nd through 5th graders are invited to meet with Hope and interested volunteers in the Parlor the second Wednesday of each month (and occasionally at other times too) to plan events, activities, and missions projects (6:00-6:30PM)
- Children's Prayer Team: 2nd through 5th graders are invited to participate in an intercessory prayer team in the Parlor the 4th Wednesday of the month, from 6:00-6:30PM
Most of our choir groups meet on Wednesday night during the Wednesday Night Out meal.
- Cherub Choir: This choir is made up of children age 3; meets in Room 109 from 6:00-6:30PM during Wednesday Night Out
- The Wesley Choristers: This choir is made up of children ages 4 years to first grade. They rehearse on Wednesday evenings during Wednesday Night Out. Wednesday Night Out starts in September and runs through May every year. They perform about once a month during morning worship or for special services.
- The Covenant Singers: This choir is made up of children in grades 2-5. They rehearse on Wednesday evenings during Wednesday Night Out and perform periodically during morning worship and for special services. Wednesday Night Out runs from September to May every year.
- The Covenant Ringers: This group is made up of children in grades 2-5. They rehearse the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays in the Sanctuary.
John Wesley Youth
John Wesley's youth ministry responds to the social and spiritual needs of our youth by providing fun and meaningful programs, activities, and events that will assist them in faith development and in becoming a disciple of Christ. Youth are also encouraged to use their individual talents and skills in the programs and ministries of JW. For more information about our youth ministry, please visit our Youth Ministry website or visit our John Wesley Youth Ministry Facebook Page. Additional questions? Contact our Youth Ministries Leader, David Boudolf, at email@example.com